Canker Sore Treatment
Mouth ulcers are also known as canker sores, oral ulcers or aphthous ulcers. Mouth ulcers or canker sores are usually appear on inside of cheeks, tongue, lips or gums. They are white, yellow or red in colour and occur in single or in clusters. Cancer sores are common oral ailment but they are extremely painful and makes life tough in eating and drinking.
What Causes Cancer Sores?
Exact cause of mouth ulcers or canker sores is unknown, Some of the causes of cancer sores that result minor to major illness and cause much pain:
- Food allergy, foods like acidic or citrus food may cause mouth ulcers or canker sores.
- Stress, tissue injury or hormonal imbalance.
- Burn of mouth by eating/drinking something hot.
- Sudden cut in mouth during eating so keep quite during eating.
- Dental and gums problems.
- Brushing too fast can cause mouth ulcers.
- Some pain killers and mediations also cause mouth ulcers and canker sores.
- Eating much tobacco may cause mouth ulcer or mouth cancer.
- Lack of vitamins like B12, Zinc, Iron and Folate.
Symptoms of Mouth Ulcer and Canker sore
Cancer sores or mouth ulcers are vary in size and appearance and affect any part of your mouth like gums, palate, inside of cheeks or on tongue. There is chance of having a mouth ulcer or canker sore if you have:
- Pain full sores inside your mouth like inside of cheeks, on gums, palate or on tongue.
- They are white, yellow or grey colour round or irregular sores with red edge or boundary.
- Having swollen skin around sores and problem in eating and drinking and cause much pain.
- Herpetiform Mouth Sores or Mouth Ulcers: They are pin point sized and occur in cluster of 10 to 100. Herpetiform mouth sores are irregular edge and mostly affect adults.
How to Prevent Cancer Sores?
There is no exact way to prevent mouth ulcers but here are some suggestion that helps you to reduce occurrence of mouth ulcers.
- Reduce your stress level.
- Avoid food that irritate your mouth like acidic food, hot and spicy foods.
- Intake healthy and balanced diet that rich in vitamin, zinc, iron and other minerals as prescribed by your doctor.
- Use soft tooth brush and brush your teeth twice a day and keep your mouth clean.
- Drink sufficient amount of water.
- Try to keep quite while you eating or drinking and chewing your food slowly.
- Prevent smoking, chewing tobacco and limit your daily alcohol use.
5 Effective Mouth Ulcer or Canker Sore Treatment
Mouth ulcer or cancer sore takes about one week to several weeks to heal depending on the localized position in your mouth and intensity i.e. minor ulcers heal in 7-10 days but major ulcers which are deeper and bigger takes several weeks to heal.
Canker Sore Treatment Using Basil (Tulsi Leaves)
Tulsi leaves have very impressive medical benefits and use widely for making many home remedies. You may also heard of basil essential oil that is one of the powerful essential oils for treating various skin problems. Tulsi leaves have important substance i.e. adaptogen that helps body to adapt to stress. Chew 5-6 leaves of tulsi along with water three times a day regularly. This helps in healing ulcers faster and also prevent from recurring. Grow basil herbs indoors to take the benefits of this natural herb.