Drug Overdose Deaths
There are many antidepressant that cause sudden change of body function and cause silent death that are growing rapidly. These death causing medicines or drugs also result in sudden cardiac death (SCD) that is sudden, unexpected death caused by loss of heart function. The main cause of drug overdose deaths is lengthening of QT interval of heart function by sudden change of electrical pulse which result in change of rhythm of the heart beat.
QT interval in heart is time difference between start of Q wave and end of T wave in electrical cycle of heart – Measure by Electrocardiogram or ECG only
This type of death is called silent death because this sudden cardiac arrest not provides you time or warning for any medical emergency treatment.
Drug Overdose Deaths, List of Dangerous Antidepressant That Cause Sudden Dealth
Here we are going to share some drugs or antidepressant that cause sudden death or serious health problems like heart attack, lengthening QT interval, organ failure or affects other body functions.
- Methadone – Reported to cause sudden death in some individual by lengthening QT interval or by stopping body functions or other serious effect in case over dosage.
- Citaloprom – This antidepressant Stop heart by sudden change of heart electrical pulse and QT interval and cause sudden change. Its brand name is Celexa and Cipramil.
- Ibuprofen – This is a Non-Steroidal-Anti-Inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), people who take this drug have higher risk of heart attack or cardiovascular diseases and may cause sudden death with no time for any medical emergency.
- Paracetamol – Higher dose of Paracetamol over time is also very dangerous and cause serious health problems and sometimes over dosage cause death. Sometimes regular usage of small dosage of Paracetamol may cause organ failure and ultimately cause death.
- Amitriptylin – Worst antidepressant that cause lengthening of QT interval. 2 out of 10 people find abnormal ECG with lengthening of QT interval.
- Escitalopram(Lexapro) – This is one of the worst antidepressants that cause death by sudden change of heart beat and extend QT interval.
- Drug like bupropion(Zyban) cause opposite effect as compared to other antidepressants. Bupropion(Zyban) shorten QT interval and can result in cardiac arrest, palpitation or fainting.
- Overdose of anything is harmful so ignore mediation or other products in large amount for example if you drink too much water it may also very harmful and even may cause death. Over take of vitamin E acts as anticougulant and create bleeding problem if you get injured.
According to 2004 article, list of some drugs that prolong QT interval, serious health problems or even overdose death are:
If you feel abnormal after taking any drug, call your doctor immediately for medical emergency.
Drug Overdose Deaths, Propel Rise in Mortality Rates (1999-2014)
Sudden cardiac death is the largest cause of natural death in U.S., causing about 327,000 adult deaths in the United State every year. Drug abuse, of both prescription painkillers and illegal drugs like heroin, has become a part of the American political discourse as never before. The graph of the drug overdose deaths below show roughly idea of death by medicine or drug overdose deaths from 1999-2014.
The Times analyzed nearly 60 million death certificates collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 1990 to 2014.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
By The New York Times
How much time it takes to withdraw of drugs that cause sudden death?
If a drug is suspected to be death causing it should take several years by regulatory agencies to withdraw it from market. Interval between first death and withdraw of death causing drug is not shorten because there is no standard method to take decision and verify that whether a suspected drug cause death and should be remove from market or not.
From 1957 to 2011, scientist identified and withdraw 95 death causing drugs out of 82 were cause immediate death while 13 cause death after over dose.
If there any serious adverse occur, then regulatory agencies evaluation is speed up than present, but in that case it also take more than two years to complete withdraw of that drugs from market.
Purpose of this article (Drug Overdose Deaths) is not to frighten you but here our main focus is to educate you to take decision about your health and provides you tools to control your health. If you find any abnormality after taking some kind of antidepressant or drug so don’t ignore it, consult your doctor about the drugs you have taken as soon as possible to take any medical emergency treatment.
Last Medical Review: 03/02/2016