Does Vicks VapoRub for Toenail Fungus Really Work?
Nail fungus is a nasty infection that’s hard to treat, affecting about 15% of Americans. The over the counter ointments and pharmaceutical drugs available for eliminating this nasty nail fungus are not only expensive but also plagued with drawbacks. Interest has been raised in over-the-counter Vicks VapoRub as an alternative for toenail fungus. As most of us heard of Vicks Vaporub for toenail fungus, one of the best treatments. Many people (more than 56% peoples, according to Mayo Clinic) have had success with Vicks VapoRub.
Vicks VapoRub for Toenail Fungus – Clinical Research
Vicks VapoRub has three main active ingredients. Camphor (4.8%) is a known topical anesthetic, Menthol (2.6%) has anesthetic properties when applied to the skin, and Eucalyptus oil 1.2 percent is the third active ingredient. Other ingredients include Cedarleaf Oil, Nutmeg Oil, Special Petrolatum, Thymol, and Turpentine Oil. Concentration of these inactive ingredients are not documented on Vicks VapoRub package.
In one study, scientists tested the antifungal effects of the ingredients in Vicks VapoRub. Out of all the active and inactive ingredients, thymol was among the most effective at inhibiting the growth of dermatophytes that cause nail fungus.
Another study, New York Times recently put it to the test, and found thyme in VapoRub. Thyme has a high content of thymol and is most effective at inhibiting the growth of toenail fungus. Antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic property of thyme (or thymol) helps to kills wide range of toxic bacteria, and fungi.
One such study had 18 participants. Of those 18, 15 of them have had positive effects. The others have shown moderate clearing. Some people report online, success with using Vicks VapoRub for toenail fungus clearing only if you catch it in the early stages.
[Relate Article: Thyme Acne Treatment]
How to Use Vicks VapoRub for Toenail Fungus?
You won’t find instructions on how to use Vicks VapoRub on your toenail fungus on the back of your Vicks VapoRub package, and that is because it is not what the makers of Vicks have intended it for. Don’t worry, Here below complete instruction to use Vicks VapoRub for toenail fungus, Do this before you bed.
- Keep your toenails trimmed as short as possible, Trim your effected toenail. Immediately after trimming, cleanse your nail clippers with hot soapy water or with dettol anti-septic liquid.
- Immerse your feet in lukewarm water and sprinkle a bit of salt or dettol in it, and soak for a period of 15-20 minutes. It mainly assists in making your skin and toenail to be soft. Skip this process if you have no time.
- It is important to apply it to Vicks VapoRub on dry toenails, and dry your feet and nearby area completely.
- Apply Vicks VapoRub to the toenail that is infected with fungus as a cure for toenail fungus. Try to get it under the nail as well as the skin around the nail, and down into the cuticle.
- Before you sleep, cover the toe with a bandage or put on clean socks made from cotton. This help the Vicks absorb, and prevent your sheets or furnishings from being stained by the vaporub.
- Be patient, treatment for toenail fungus work very slow. It may take up to 4-8 months depends on severity level.
Side Effects of Vicks VapoRub for Toenail Fungus
There have not been any report of side effects of using Vicks VapoRub for toenail fungus. There are few people that have experienced mild burning while using Vicks VapoRub but those are very few in number. If at any time during treatment the fungus appears to be getting worse, see your physician. If you’re allergic to Vicks or other related ointment, please not to use Vicks ointment and consult your doctor for alternative treatment.